Office Oral Surgery: A Guided Experience for the General Dentist
Next offering: 2017
Call 800-685-1418 or 612-625-1418, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our priority notification list for the next course offering.
Would you like supervised patient experience with oral surgical procedures?
This one-of-a-kind program will give you relevant and evidence-based information on how to perform safe and effective oral surgical techniques in your practice.
You will receive updates on:
- surgical diagnosis and treatment planning,
- medico-legal considerations,
- case selection,
- management of medically compromised patients,
- surgical difficulty and risk assessment,
- surgical techniques for removal of erupted and impacted teeth,
- sedation/pain management during and after oral surgery,
- management of surgical complications,
- indications for antibiotics and other medications, and
- patient home-care instructions.
In addition, you will benefit from one-on-one mentoring, and either observing or providing oral surgical procedures. Your surgical experience may include removal of impacted third molars, biopsy of hard and soft tissue, removal of erupted teeth or alveoloplasty.
You will bring back to your practice the knowledge and skills to:
- increase your comfort and skill level with oral surgical procedures.
- utilize contemporary instruments and surgical techniques.
- determine surgical difficulty and risk assessment for each of your patients.
- decide when to treat and when to refer.
- identify when and how to perform surgical procedures on medically compromised patients.
- manage surgical complications.
- prescribe appropriate medications for pain and oral infections.
- avoid medico-legal complications through careful patient assessment and selection, skillful surgical techniques and informed patient consent.
Who Should Attend
Dentists who want to increase the level and scope of oral surgical care in their practices.
Illustrated lectures, discussion, live patient demonstration and patient experience with oral surgery.
This course is under the direction of James Q. Swift, D.D.S., Professor, Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Department of Developmental and Surgical Sciences, University of Minnesota School of Dentistry; Diplomate, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Final registration will begin at 7:30 AM on Monday, October 24.
- Continental breakfast will be available during registration, and on Tuesday morning.
- The program will run from 8:00 AM to 5:15 PM both days. Lunch is included and will be served from approximately 12:00 to 12:45 PM each day.
- There will be 15-minute refreshment break mid-morning, and mid-afternoon each day.
If you have special dietary needs or are disabled and have special needs, please contact us at least two weeks prior to the program date.
Patients, gloves, masks, and clinical attire will be provided by the School of Dentistry. You will need to bring your own protective eyewear with side shields and magnification loupes if you use in practice. You may bring your own scrubs to wear during the Tuesday morning patient treatment session.
What to wear
We suggest that you bring a jacket or sweater to help you adjust to the seemingly inevitable changes in meeting room temperature.
A full refund will be issued if you cancel at least one month (30 total days) before the program. If you cancel less than 30 days prior to the program $595 will be deducted from your refund. For registrations charged to your credit card the refund will be credited to your account. No cash refunds will be issued on charged registrations.
Directions, parking & hotel
Directions & Map
Moos Health Sciences Tower
515 Delaware Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
Moos HS Tower is located on the East Bank of the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis Campus, at the intersection of Washington Avenue and Harvard Street SE.
Parking is available in the Washington Avenue Ramp. The Washington Avenue Ramp is located at 501 Washington Avenue SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455.
You will need to push the button on the stationary box in order to receive a parking slip and activate the gate. Detailed instructions for exiting the ramp will be provided during the program. Parking charges will be billed to Continuing Dental Education.
If the ramp is FULL or EVENT PARKING is in place, please inform the attendant that you are attending a Continuing Dental Education conference in the School of Dentistry.
PLEASE NOTE: If you park anywhere besides the Washington Ave. Ramp, you will be responsible for the parking fees.
The Commons Hotel Guests Only: If you are staying at the Commons Hotel, we encourage that you make parking reservations directly with the hotel. We cannot validate parking for overnight stays. Validated parking is only available during course hours.
Hotel accommodations are available at the Commons Hotel, located directly across the street from the Dental School. To reserve your room at the special Continuing Dental Education rate:
- Call the Commons Hotel at 612-379-8888 and ask for in-house reservations. Tell the reservationist the dates of your stay and that you want a room under the reservation for “Continuing Dental Education.” Ask the reservationist to enter your name for one of the rooms at the special Continuing Dental Education rate.
- If you are outside the United States or do not wish to call, please email email@example.com with the dates you intend to stay and ask to have your name entered for one of the reservations under “Continuing Dental Education.”
Link to a list of hotels near campus.
Enrollment is limited to 12.
A $595 deposit is due at the time of registration.
1.5 core (Diagnosis & Treatment Planning)
Eligible for AGD Mastership credit in oral and maxillofacial surgery.
8:00 AM to 5:15 PM (both days)
6-410 Moos HS Tower
(Lynda J. Young Conference Room)
- Lecture and Participation Courses
- Online and Independent Study Courses
- Certificate Training in Contemporary Restorative and Esthetic Dentistry
- Register for Courses
- Clinical Grand Round Recorded Sessions
- Speaker's Bureau Guide
- Oral Cancer Screening Video
- CE Credits: Documentation and Recognition
- Hotel Information, Maps, Directions & Parking
- Resources & Links
- Refund Policy
- CDE Advisory Committee
- Sign Up for Course Announcements
- Continuing Dental Education Staff