The Advanced Education Program in Prosthodontics at the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry offers in-depth instruction in fixed, removable, and implant prosthodontics
This educational experience is structured to provide residents with diagnostic and treatment planning fundamentals as well as the associated clinical skills necessary for the practice of prosthodontics as a specialty and/or to prepare them for a career in discipline related teaching and research.
In addition, instruction provided in the critical evaluation of available dental literature, didactic concepts, and research methodology, is focused on creating young professionals with the ability to become effective life-long learners. See the following links for more info:
Program at a glance
The Advanced Education Program in Prosthodontics accepts on average three residents each year into the program. Applications must be completed and returned no later than August 15 of the year prior to the program start date. After preliminary screening of the application packages by the program director, selected candidates will be contacted to schedule a date for an interview. Interviews are usually held in August through October. Taking into account all of the above listed criteria and input obtained by the program director, faculty, and residents, a final decision is made and the selection process completed.
For the past 43 years, the Advanced Education Program in Prosthodontics at the University of Minnesota has had the unique history of operating under the leadership of only two program directors. Dr. Richard J. Goodkind established the graduate program in 1969 and received full accreditation status. He went on to lead one of the best prosthodontic programs in the nation, mentoring and graduating over 50 prosthodontists.
Upon Dr. Goodkind’s retirement, the leadership transitioned to Dr. James R. Holtan who led the program into the new millennium and who also mentored and graduated 50 prosthodontists. As Dr. Holtan graduated his final class in 2012 and phases into retirement, these two outstanding clinicians, educators, and scientists, have been honored by renaming our spaces the ‘Goodkind | Holtan Conference Room and Resident Office’.
- To develop the diagnostic and treatment planning skills necessary for successful provision of complex prosthodontic treatment.
- To provide advanced didactic instruction in all phases of prosthodontics.
- To provide advanced clinical instruction in all phases of prosthodontics so that a graduating resident will have the clinical skills necessary to successfully practice prosthodontics as a specialty.
- To create an atmosphere that supports the development of a research protocol, completion of an associated project, interpretation of the results, preparation of a thesis and the ability to mount a successful defense, all leading to the awarding of an MS degree at the end of the program.
- To provide encouragement and the professional skills necessary for successful completion of the American Board of Prosthodontics Examination.
- To develop life-long learning skills.
- To foster an interest on the part of our residents in community health care, community service and dental education.
- To offer the best educational experience possible.
- To ensure successful completion and presentation of treatment plans/treatment for patients requiring complex restorative care as required in the prosthodontics treatment planning seminar course.
- To ensure successful completion all didactic courses associated with the program.
- To ensure successful completion of all clinical courses associated with the program.
- To ensure development of a research protocol, completion of an associated project, interpretation of the results, preparation of a thesis and the ability to mount a successful defense, all leading to the awarding of an MS degree at the end of the program.
- To ensure the development of a desire and the professional skills necessary for successful completion of American Board of Prosthodontics examination.
- To ensure that residents can successfully prepare and present topical seminars in prosthodontics and engage in a review of current and classic literature as required in the current and classical prosthodontics literature review seminar courses.
- To ensure the opportunity for development of an interest not only in teaching and related skills but also in the importance of service to the community.
- To solicit input on a regular basis from residents, program graduates and faculty to identify program strengths and any weaknesses requiring correction and to make any necessary corrective changes.
- American Academy of Fixed Prosthodontics (AAFP)
- American Board of Prosthodontics (ABP)
- American College of Prosthodontists (ACP)
- American Dental Association (ADA)
- American Dental Education Association (ADEA)
- ADEA Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS)
- Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA)
- Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada (CDAC)
- Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE)
- Educational Testing Service (ETS)
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Minnesota Board of Dentistry
- National Board Dental Examinations (NBDE)
- National Dental Examining Board of Canada (NDEB)
- Royal College of Dentists of Canada (RCDC)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
Program at a glance
Length: 34 months
Degree: Certificate in Prosthodontics and Master of Science
Class Size: 3 residents per year, 9 residents overall
Application Deadline: August 15
Start Date: Last week in June
Contact: Heather J. Conrad, DMD, MS, FACP, FRCD(C)
Advanced Education Program in Prosthodontics
9-176 Moos Health Science Tower
515 Delaware Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Becoming an Advanced Prosthodontic Patient
- Doctor of Dental Surgery
- Dental Therapy
- Dental Hygiene
- UMN PASS
- Specialty and Advanced Education Programs
- General Practice Residency
- Master of Science in Dentistry
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Oral Biology
- Orofacial Pain
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Dental School Preparation Programs
- Current Students
- Community Outreach Experience
- Degree & Education Verification