Donald R. Nixdorf
Director, Division of TMD and Orofacial Pain
Department of Diagnostic and Biological Sciences
Hospital Dentistry, The Ohio State University, 1996
Orofacial Pain, University of Alberta, 2000; Anesthesia, Johns Hopkins University, 1999
Dentistry, BS, University of Alberta, 1994
Clinical Research, University of Minnesota, 2012; Dentistry, The Ohio State University, 1998
Dentistry, Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS), University of Alberta, 1996; Anatomy, McGill University, 1994
612-626-5407 / 612-626-0140 (clinic)
6-320 Moos Tower
515 Delaware St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Dr. Donald Nixdorf graduated from the University of Alberta, Faculty of Dentistry in 1996. He then completed a residency in hospital dentistry with a Masters at The Ohio State University, Anesthesia fellowship at Johns Hopkins University, Orofacial Pain fellowship at the University of Alberta, an internship within the Summer Institute in Clinical Dental Research at the University of Washington, and was a visiting research fellow at the University of Oxford with Dr. Irene Tracey’s group at FMRIB. Recently he completed a Master of Science in Clinic Research, UMN School of Public Health, as a part of his NIH-funded K12 training program.
Dr. Nixdorf is an Associate Professor and past Graduate Program Director at the University of Minnesota in the Division of TMD & Orofacial Pain, adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Neurology, Research Investigator in the HealthPartners Institute for Education and Research, the Deputy Director of the Midwest Region within the National Dental Practice-Based Research Network. Dr. Nixdorf is a Diplomate of the National Dental Board of Anesthesiology (NDBA) and the American Board of Orofacial Pain (ABOP). Furthermore, he is a past Chair of the Written Examination Council for the ABOP, current Director of the ABOP, member of the Trigeminal Neuralgia Association’s Medical Advisory Board, committee member revising Chapter 13 of International Classification of Headache Disorders (ICHD-III), and has been involved in the development of the DC/TMD via joint effort between the International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP) Orofacial Pain special interest group and the International Association for Dental Research (IADR) RDC/TMD consortium.
Dr. Nixdorf’s clinical interests include the diagnosis and management of chronic TMD pain, headaches and neuropathic pain. His research is focused on the topic of persistent non-odontogenic “tooth” pain, looking at issues related to classification (e.g., consensus building), diagnosis (e.g., development of criteria, imaging, screening questionnaires), epidemiology, (e.g., determining predictive factors, assessing of impact), exploration of mechanisms (e.g., sensory testing, functional imaging), and treatment options.
“Developing Dental Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI): Reliability Assessment of Detecting Cracks in Teeth”
Study Goal: Derive MRI criteria for crack identification in teeth, establish the reliability, and demonstrate it is feasible to detect such cracks in vivo. This will be accomplished by consensus building and reiterative changes to the criteria, obtaining MRIs of ex vivo teeth/jaw specimens (with before and after comparison), and imaging 5 patients with known cracked teeth.
- Role = PI @ 2.5% effort
- Funding Agency: American Association Endodontic (AAE) Foundation
- Funding Duration: April 1, 2016 to March 31, 31, 2017
“Diagnosis of TMD within Endodontic Patients receiving RCT”
Study Goal: Determine the prevalence of TMD pain diagnoses, in patients about to receive initial orthograde RCT and determine the change in
frequency of TMD pain diagnoses 1 month after endodontic treatment, compared to baseline TMD status, in patients who received initial orthograde RCT.
- Role = co-PI @ 1% effort
- Funding Agency: Park Dental Foundation (PI: Flavia Kapos)
- Funding Duration: October 1, 2015 to November 30, 2016
“Predictors of Endodontic Treatment Outcomes”
Study Goal: Planning grant to develop a full protocol for a prospective observational study that will identify the predictive factors for severe acute pain and assess the impact of persistent pain over the course of 1-year follow of patients that received initial orthodgrade root canal therapy.
- Role = Study PI @ 40% effort
- Funding Agency: Subcontract from U19 grant application (PI: Gregg Gilbert)
- Funding Duration: November 1, 2014 to December 31, 2018
“National Dental Practice-Based Research Network” U19-DE022516
Study Goal: Develop The National Dental Practice-Based Research Network (NDPBRN) and conduct clinical research about, in, and for the benefit of “real world” everyday practicing oral health professionals.
- Role = Deputy Director for Midwest Region @ 20% effort (PI: Gregg Gilbert)
- Funding agency: NIH/NIDCR
- Funding duration: April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2019
“SWIFT MRI for evaluation of mandibular invasion in oral squamous cell carcinoma”
Study Goal: Develop a SWIFT compatible MRI coil to image the bone-soft tissue interface to assess for penetration prior to surgical exploration.
- Role = content expert (PI: Samir Khariwala)
- Funding Agency: UMN CTSI’s Novel Methods pilot opportunity
- Funding Duration: September 1, 2012 to August 31, 2014
“Understanding the impacts of persistent tooth pain”
Study Goal: Using qualitative data collection methods, describe the impacts of this pain has of peoples daily life.
- Role = PI & Faculty supervisor (Fellow: Justin Durham)
- Funding agency: SOD Lasby Visiting Fellowship, University of Minnesota
- Funding Duration: July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2014
Supplement to P41-RR008079 “NMR Imaging & Spectroscopy”
“Development of Dental Magnetic Resonance Imaging using SWIFT”
Study Goal: Establish the feasibility of in vivo MR-imaging of both calcified and non-calcified tissues of teeth with a resolution 0.2 mm, in three-dimensions.
- Role = Co-I at 20% effort (PI: Kamil Ugurbil)
- Funding Agency = NIH/NCRR
- Funding Duration: September 15, 2011 to March 31, 2013
“Diagnosis for persistent dentoalveolar pain following root canal therapy”
Study Goal: This is a nested case-control study that seeks to identify etiologic factors associated with patients who report pain at 6 months within DPBRN Study 18.
- Role = PI @ 5% effort
- Funding agency: AAE Foundation & AAOP
- Funding Duration: July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2012
Dental Practice-Based Research Network (DPBRN) study protocols 17 & 18
“Peri-operative Pain and Root Canal Therapy”
Study Goal: Determine the frequency and magnitude of tooth pain present 1 week and 6 months following initial orthograde root canal therapy.
- Role = Project Manager for both studies @ 40% effort (PI: Gregg Gilbert)
- Funding agency: NIH/NIDCR
- Status: Sub-contracts granted from U01-DE016747
- Project duration: April 1, 2009 to March 31, 2012
Infrastructure Investment Initiative (I3) Award
“New Infrastructure for Campus-wide Access to 3T MRI”
Study Goal: Set up a second 3 Tesla MRI machine in CMMR to keep pace with current research demands of scanner time.
- Role = Co-I (PI: Stephen Engle)
- Funding agency: UMN, Office of Vice President Research
- Project duration: June 1, 2011 to December 31, 2011
Scholar Development Clinical Research (RMI) (K12, CAPS)
“Functional Neuroimaging of Neuropathic Orofacial Pain: A pilot study”
Study Goal: Develop an intra-oral stimulus device that is MRI compatible, demonstrate feasible of imaging BOLD activity resultant from painful intra-oral stimulation, and perform group-wise comparison between subjects with neuropathic tooth pain compared to pain-free controls.
- Role = Scholar @ 75% effort (PI: Russell Luepker)
- Senior Mentor: Eric Schiffman
- Supporting Mentors: David Bereiter, Noam Harel, Mike John, Kamil Ugurbil, Jim Hodges
- Funding agency: NIH/NCRR, granted within K12-RR023247
- Funding duration for Scholar: February 2007 to July 2010
“Cross-sectional Evaluation of Pain Cases and pain-Free Controls”
Study Goal: Determine whether there are differences in tasting ability between two different TMD pain patients groups compared to matched controls.
- Role = Co-I on resident project (PI: Robert Utsman)
- Funding agency: American Academic of Orofacial Pain (AAOP)
“Case series assessment of the effectiveness of methotrexate treatment for chronic pain after TMJ implant removal”
Study Goal: Investigate the effectiveness of methotrexate for reducing pain in patients who have persistent chronic temporomandibular joint (TMJ) pain after Silastic® or Proplast® implant placement and subsequent removal.
- Role = Principle Investigator @ 5% effort
- Funding agency: University of Minnesota Oral Health Clinical Research Center
- Project duration: October 2006 to June 2008
- Investigational New Drug (IND) application with the FDA (#74,715)
“Quantitative Neurosensory Testing for TMD/Orofacial Pain Patients”
Study Goal: Evaluate the difference in pin-point pain threshold perception, pressure pain threshold perception and vibrotactile perception of pain in subjects with temporomandibular joint and masseter muscle pain compared to and pain-free participants.
- Role: Principle Investigator @ 20% effort
- Funding agency: University of Minnesota School of Dentistry
- Project duration: September 2005 to October 2006
“Comprehensive Training in Inter-Disciplinary Oral Health Research”
Study Goal: Comprehensive training in interdisciplinary oral health research for dental faculty that covers a broad spectrum of interdisciplinary oral health research areas.
- Role: Scholar @ 100% effort (PI: Tim DeRouen)
- Funding agency: NIDCR, T32-DE71222 - Ruth L. Kirschstein Research Service Award
- Project duration: June to September 2005
“Teledentistry Project: Increasing Rural Access to Dental Specialists”
Study Goal: Provide TMD, orofacial pain and oral medicine care to rural Minnesota practitioners via telehealth technology.
- Role: Co-investigator @ 1% effort (PI: James Fricton)
- Funding agency: Minnesota Department of Education
- Project duration: November 2004 to October 2006, except June to September 2005
“NIDCR’s TMJ Implant Registry and Repository (TIRR)”
Study Goal: Collect clinical information and biological specimens from patients with TMD disorders throughout the United States to stimulate research on TMJ implants
- Role: Co-investigator @ 2% effort (PI: James Fricton)
- Funding agency: NIDCR, N01-DE22635
- Funding duration: September 2005 to January 2007
“Randomized controlled trial of botulinum toxin A for masticatory myalgia”
Study Goal: Pilot study to assess the effectiveness of botulinum toxin A for myalgia pain in TMD subjects
- Role: Principle Investigator @ 60% effort
- Funding agency: University of Alberta Fund for Dentistry, Allergan Inc. & McNeil Pharmaceuticals
- Project duration: January 2000 to June 2002
2006 – present International & American Association for Dental Research
2006 – present Association of University TMD & Orofacial Pain Programs
2002 – present American Academy of Orofacial Pain
2000 – present International Association for the Study of Pain
2003 – 2007 American, Minnesota & Minneapolis Dental Societies
2000 – 2007 American Headache Society
2004 – 2006 International Headache Society
2000 – 2006 Canadian Pain Society
1998 – 2014 American Dental Society of Anesthesiology
1999 – 2002 Canadian & Alberta Dental Association
2016 Clinical Paper of the Year, School of Dentistry, University of Minnesota
2015 AAE Foundation’s highest scoring faculty research grant proposal
2015 Journal of Endodontics award for best clinical research publication
2012 Alpha Omega dental society inductee
1998 Phi Kappa Phi honor society inductee
1998 Ohio State Post College Assembly table clinic award
1997 Biotene award, excellence in hospital dentistry
1995 Dentsply table clinic award
1995 Academic All Canadian
1995 & 1994 Jimmie Condon track and field scholarships
1994 & 1993 Farquarson research scholarships
1. Idiyatullin D, Garwood M, Nixdorf DR. MRI can detect micro-cracks in teeth. Submitted for consideration with Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging
2. Sun Y, Brauckmann O, Nixdorf DR, Kentgens A, Garwood M, Idiyatullin D, Heerschap A. Imaging human teeth by 31P MRI with Nuclear Overhauser Enhancement. Submitted for consideration with Nature Communications
3. Pigg M, Law AS, Nguyen RHN, Nixdorf DR, National Dental PBRN Collaborative Group. Validity of preoperative clinical findings to identify dental pulp status: A National Dental PBRN. In press with Journal of Endodontics
4. Herrero Babiloni AA, Kapos FP, Nixdorf DR. Intraoral administration of onabotulinum toxin for trigeminal neuropathic pain. In press with Oral Surgery Oral Medicine Oral Pathology Oral Radiology
5. Al-Musawi M, Durham J, Whitworth JM, Stone SJ, Nixdorf DR, Valentine RA. Effect of topic neuromodulatory medications on oral and skin keratinocytes. In press with Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine
6. Shueb SS, Boyer HC, Nixdorf DR. Nonodontogenic ‘tooth pain’ of nose and sinus origin. In press with the Journal of the American Dental Association
7. Nixdorf DR, Law AS, Lindquist K, Reams GS, Cole E, Kanter K, Nguyen RHN, Harris DR, National Dental PBRN Collaborative Group. Frequency, impact, and predictors of persistent pain following root canal treatment: A National Dental PBRN. Pain (January) 2016;157(1):159-165.
8. Moana-Filho EJ, Nixdorf DR, Bereiter DA. Amplified supraspinal processing of dentoalveolar pressure stimuli in atypical odontalgia. Journal Oral & Facial Pain and Headache (Fall) 2015;29(4):349-362.
9. Shueb SS, Nixdorf DR, John MT, Alonso BF, Durham J. What is the impact of acute and chronic orofacial pain on quality of life? Journal of Dentistry (October) 2015;43(10):1203-1210.
10. Nixdorf DR, Law AS, John MT, Sobieh RM, Kohli R, Nguyen R, National Dental PBRN Collaborative Group. Diagnoses for Persistent pain following root canal treatment: A nested case series study in the National Dental PBRN. Northwest Dentistry (July-August) 2015;94(4):33-40. Reprint
11. Nixdorf DR, Law AS, John MT, Sobieh RM, Kohli R, Nguyen R, National Dental PBRN Collaborative Group. Diagnoses for Persistent pain following root canal treatment: A nested case series study in the National Dental PBRN. Journal of Endodontics (April) 2015;41(4):457-463.
12. Law AS, Nixdorf DR, Aguirre AM, Reams GS, Tortomasi AJ, Manne BD, Harris DR, National Dental PBRN Collaborative Group. Predictors of severe pain following root canal therapy in the National Dental PBRN. Journal Dental Research (March) 2015;94(3 Suppl):37S-43S.
13. Durham J, Touger-Decker R, Nixdorf DR, Rigassio-Radler D, Moynihan P. Oro-facial pain and nutrition: a forgotten relationship? Journal of Oral Rehabilitation (January) 2015;42(1):75-80.
14. Durham J, Nixdorf DR. Healthcare Pathway and Biopsychosocial Impact of Persistent Dentoalveolar Pain disorder (PDAP): A Qualitative Study. International Endodontic Journal (December) 2014;47(12):1151-1159.
15. Law AS, Nixdorf DR, Rabinowitz I, Reams GS, Smith Jr. JA, Torres AV, Harris DR, National Dental PBRN Collaborative Group. Root Canal Therapy Reduces Dimensions of Pain: A National Dental Practice-based Research Network Study. Journal of Endodontics (November) 2014;40(11):1738-1745.
16. Edwards PJ, Peterson EJ, Durham J, Nixdorf DR. Methotrexate pharmacotherapy for implant-related temporomandibular joint pain: A case report. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology (August) 2014;118(2):e44-e47.
17. Idiyatullin D, Corum C, Nixdorf DR, Garwood M. Intraoral approach for imaging teeth using the transverse B1 field components of an occlusally oriented loop coil. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (July) 2014;72(1):160-165.
18. Schiffman E, Ohrbach R, Truelove E, Look J, Anderson G, Goulet J-P, List T, Svensson P, Gonzalez Y, Lobbezoo F, Michelotti A, Brooks S, Ceusters W, Drangsholt M, Ettlin D, Gaul C, Goldberg LJ, Haythornthwaite J, Hollender L, Jensen R, John MT, deLaat A, deLeeuw R, Maixner W, van der Meulen M, Murray GM, Nixdorf DR, Palla S, Petersson A, Pionchon P, Smith B, Visscher C, Zakrzewska J, and Dworkin SF. Diagnostic Criteria for Temporomandibular Disorders (DC/TMD) for Clinical and Research Applications: Recommendations of the International RDC/TMD Consortium Network and Orofacial Pain Special Interest Group. Journal Oral & Facial Pain and Headache (Winter) 2014;28(1):6-27.
19. Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society (IHS). The International Classification of Headache Disorders 3rd edition (beta version). Chapter 13: Painful cranial neuropathies and other facial pains. Cephalalgia (July) 2013;33(9):774-786.
20. Durham J, Exley C, John MT, Nixdorf DR. Persistent dentoalveolar pain: The patient’s experience. Journal of Orofacial Pain (Winter) 2013;27(1):6-13.
21. Schierz O, Nixdorf DR, Singer S, Reissmann D. Ability to concentrate in patients with painful temporomandibular disorders. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology (December) 2012;40(6):507-515.
22. Nixdorf DR, Law AS, Look JO, Rindal DB, Durand EU, Kang W, Agee BS, Fellows JL, Gordan VV, Gilbert GH for The National Dental PBRN Collaborative Group. Large-scale Clinical Endodontic Research in The National Dental Practice-Based Research Network: Study Overview and Methods. Journal of Endodontics (November) 2012;38(11):1470-1478.
23. Schiffman E, Ohrbach R, List T, Anderson G, Jensen R, John MT, Nixdorf D, Goulet JP, Kang W, Truelove E, Clavel A, Fricton J, Look J. Diagnostic criteria for headache attributed to temporomandibular disorders. Cephalalgia (July) 2012:32(9):683-692.
24. Nixdorf DR, Sobieh R, Gierthmühlen J. Using an n-of-1 trial to assist in clinical orofacial pain management. Journal of the American Dental Association (March) 2012;143(3):259-261.
25. Nixdorf DR, Drangsholt MT, Ettlin DA, Gaul C, de Leeuw R, Svenson P, Zakrzewska JM, De Laat A, Ceusters A. Classifying orofacial pains: Developing a taxonomy using ontological principles. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation (March) 2012;39(3):161-169.
26. Nixdorf D, Moana-Filho E. Persistent dento-alveolar pain disorder (PDAP): Working towards a better understanding. Reviews in Pain (December) 2011;5(4);18-25.
27. Idiyatullin D, Corum CA, Moeller S, Prasad HS, Garwood M, Nixdorf DR. Dental MRI: Making the Invisible Visible. Journal of Endodontics (June) 2011;37(6):745-752.
28. Anderson GA, John MT, Ohrbach R, Nixdorf DR, Schiffman EL, Truelove ES, List T. Influence of headache frequency on clinical signs and symptoms of TMD in subjects with temple headache and TMD pain. Pain (April) 2011;152(4):765-771.
29. Kobayashi N, Idiyatullin D, Corum C, Moeller S, Chamberlain R, O’Connell R, Nixdorf DR, Garwood M. Detecting fleeting MRI signals with frequency-modulated pulses. AIP Conference Proceedings (March) 2011;1330:23-26.
30. Moana-Filho EJ, Nixdorf DR, John MT, Berieter DA, Harel N. Evaluation of a magnetic resonance-compatible dentoalveolar tactile stimulus device. BMC Neuroscience (October) 2010;11:142.
31. Leppik IE, Goel V, Nixdorf DR, Rarick J, Cloyd JC. Intramuscular and Intravenous Levetiracetam in Humans: Safety and Pharmacokinetics. Epilepsy Research (October) 2010;91(2-3):289-292.
32. Nixdorf DR, Moana-Filho EJ, McGuire LA, Hodges JS, Law AS, John MT. Nonodontogenic Pain Post Endodontic Therapy: Meta-analysis. Journal of Endodontics (September) 2010;36(9):224-230.
33. Fricton JR, Ouyanh W, Nixdorf DR, Schiffman ES, Velly AM, Look JO. Critical Appraisal of Methods used in Randomized Controlled Trials of Treatments for Temporomandibular Disorders. Journal of Orofacial Pain (Winter) 2010;24(2):139-151.
34. Nixdorf DR, Moana-Filho EJ, McGuire LA, Hodges JS, Law AS, John MT. Frequency of Persistent Tooth Pain Following Root Canal Therapy: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Journal of Endodontics (February) 2010;36(2):224-230.
35. Law AS, Durand EU, Rindal DB, Nixdorf DR for the DPBRN Group. Doctor, why does my tooth still hurt? Northwest Dentistry (January-February) 2010;89(1):33-36.
36. Nixdorf DR, John MT, Wall MM, Look JO, Fricton JR, Schiffman EL. Psychometric evaluation of the modified Symptom Severity Index (SSI). Journal of Oral Rehabilitation (January) 2010;37(1):11-20.
37. Nixdorf DR, John MT, Schierz O, Bereiter DA, Hellekant G. Self-reported severity of taste disturbances correlates with grade of TMD pain. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation (November) 2009;36(11):792-800.
38. Nixdorf DR, Hemmaty A, John MT, EL Schiffman, Look JO. Electric toothbrush application is a reliability & validity quantitative sensory test in categorizing TMJD patients from controls. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders (July) 2009;10:94.
39. Giri S, Nixdorf D. Sympathetically Maintained Pain Initially Presenting as TMD and then Parotid Dysfunction. Texas Dental Journal (August) 2007;124(8):748-752. Reprint
40. Giri S, Nixdorf D. Sympathetically Maintained Pain Initially Presenting as TMD and then Parotid Dysfunction. Journal of the Canadian Dental Association (March) 2007;73(2):157-161.
41. Alonso AA, Nixdorf DR. Case Series of Four Different Headache Types Presenting as Tooth Pain. Journal of Endodontics (November) 2006;32(11):1110-1113.
42. Nixdorf DR, Peters E, Lung KE. Clinical Presentation and differential diagnosis of the nasolabial cyst. Journal of the Canadian Dental Association (March) 2003;69(3):138-141.
43. Nixdorf DR, Heo G, Major PD. Controlled trial of botulinum toxin A for chronic myogenous orofacial pain. Pain (October) 2002;99(3):465-473.
Non Peer-Review Articles
1. Nixdorf D. The Pain Puzzle: Q’s, A’s, and Mapping the Maze. Northwest Dentistry (July-August) 2015;94(4):25,27-29,31.
2. Nixdorf DR, Kapos FP. Orofacial Pain Diagnoses: How to prepare when seeking a diagnosis for orofacial pain. TNA Quarterly: Facial Pain Association Journal (Summer) 2015;(2):20-25.
3. Nascimento T, Nixdorf DR. Ways to help reduce pain associated with dental treatment. TNA Alert (Spring) 2010;(1):3-4.
1. Mattscheck D, Law AS, Nixdorf DR. Diagnosis of Non-odontogenic Toothache. In: Hargreaves KM, Cohen S (eds). Cohen’s Pathways of the Pulp Expert Consult. 11th edition Mosby: St. Louis 2016:684-705.
2. Garwood M, Idiyatullin D, Corum CA, Chamberlain R, Moeller S, Kobayashi N, Lehto LJ, Zhang J, O’Connell R, Tesch M, Nissi MJ, Ellermann J, Nixdorf DR. Capturing Signals from Fast Relaxing Spins with Frequency-Swept MRI: SWIFT. In: Young I, Fullerton G, Bydder G (eds) for Imaging of Short T2/T2*. Encyclopedia of Magnetic Resonance. Wiley: New York 2012 DOI: 10.1002/9780470034590.emrstm1259.
3. Zakrzewska JM, Nixdorf DR. Trigeminal Neuralgia – Definition, Epidemiology, Etiology, Pathogenesis and Management. In: Schmidt RF, Willis WD (eds). Encyclopedia of Pain. Springer-Verlag: New York 2012.
4. Mattscheck D, Law AS, Nixdorf DR. Diagnosis of Non-odontogenic Toothache. In: Hargreaves KM, Cohen S (eds). Cohen’s Pathways of the Pulp. 10th edition Mosby: St. Louis 2011:49-70.
5. Nixdorf DR, Velly AM, Alonso AA. Neurovascular pains: Implications of migraine for the oral & maxillofacial surgeon. In: Balasubramaniam R & Klasser GD (eds). Orofacial Pain & Dysfunction. Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Clinic North American 2008;20:221-235.
6. Nixdorf DR. Trigeminal Neuralgia, Diagnosis & Treatment. In: Schmidt RF, Willis WD (eds). Encyclopedia of Pain. Springer-Verlag: New York 2007:2547-2550.
7. Nixdorf DR. Management of Non-dental tooth pain. AAOM/AAOP Meeting Proceedings. 2005.
1. Pigg M, Nixdorf DR, Nguyen RHN, Law AS, National Dental PBRN Collaborative Group. Distinguishing pulpal pain from periapical pain: National Dental-PBRN. Accepted for presentation at IADR in Seoul, South Korea; June 2016
1. Moana-Filho EJ, Nixdorf DR, Bereiter DA, Lenglet C. Probing human orofacial-related brain pathways in vivo. Accepted for presentation at IADR in Seoul, South Korea; June 2016
2. Al-Musawi M, Durham J, Whitworth JM, Stone SJ, Nixdorf DR, Valentine RA. Is Amitriptyline safe as topical treatment for neuropathic orofacial pain? Accepted for presentation at IADR in Seoul, South Korea; June 2016
3. Nixdorf DR, Stone SJ, Robinson LJ, Durham J. Initial assessment of the Persistent Dentoalevolar Pain Disorder screening instrument. Accepted for presentation at IADR in Seoul, South Korea; June 2016
4. Herrero Babiloni A, Nixdorf DR, Law AS, Moana-Filho EJ, Durham J. Assessing the Modified S-LANSS for Detecting Neuropathic Orofacial Pain Conditions: a cross-sectional study. Accepted for presentation at AAOP meeting in Orlando, FL; April 2016
5. Idiyatullin D, Garwood M, Nixdorf DR. Dental MRI can detect micro-cracks. Presented at ISMRM in Toronto, ON; May 2015
6. Law AS, Nixdorf DR, Sobieh RM, Kohli R, John MT, and the National Dental PBRN Collaborative Group. Diagnoses for pain present 6 months following root canal therapy. Presented at IADR in Cape Town, South Africa; June 2014
7. Fonseca Alonso B, Durham J, John MT, Law AS, Nixdorf DR. Distinguishing odonotogenic pain from TMD using screening instruments. Presented at IADR in Cape Town, South Africa; June 2014
8. Shueb SS, Nixdorf DR, Durham J, John MT. Four groups of orofacial pain patients have similar impairment in oral health quality of life. Presented at AAOP in Las Vegas, LV; May 2014
9. Mittal H, John MT, Nixdorf DR. Unconventional treatment course for persistent dento-alveolar pain: A case report. Presented at AAOP in Las Vegas, LV; May 2014
10. Idiyatullin D, Corum CA, Nixdorf DR, Garwood M. Intraoral approach for imaging teeth using the transverse B1 field components of an occlusally oriented loop coil. Presented at ISMRM in Milan, Italy; May 2014
11. Sun Y, Idiyatullin D, Brauckmann O, Nixdorf DR, Kentgens A, Garwood M, Heerschap A. 31P MRI of human teeth with Nuclear Overhauser Effect enhancement. Presented at ISMRM in Milan, Italy; May 2014
12. Goerke U, Kersten ME, Bachani S, Bereiter DA, Nixdorf DR. Mapping Activation in the Human Brainstem at 7 T with High Spatial and Temporal Resolution Using RASER and SSBA. Presented at ISMRM in Milan, Italy; May 2014
13. Fonseca Alonso B, Durham J, John MT, Law AS, Nixdorf DR. Assessment of a questionnaire’s ability to differentiate odontogenic pain form TMD-related pain. Presented at AAOP in Orlando, FL; April 2013
14. Shueb SS, Boyer H, Nixdorf DR. Nonodeontogenic “tooth” pain related to the nose and sinus. Presented at AAOP in Orlando, FL; April 2013
15. Idiyatullin D, Corum C, Nixdorf DR, Garwood M. Intraoral RF loop coil in the occlusal plan, orthogonal to B0, for dental imaging. Presented at ISMRM in Salt Lake City, UT; April 2013
16. Kersten ME, Breitenfeldt CL, Goerke U, Hodges JS, Bereiter DA, Nixdorf DR. Temporal summation of gingival pain in humans. Presented at IADR in Seattle, WA; March 2013 ID#175247
17. Nixdorf DR, Look JO, Law AS, Reams GJ, Smith JA, Sørensen LH, Torres AV, Chen R, Kim Y for the National Dental PBRN Collaborative Group. Predicting persistent pain following endodontic treatment within The National-Dental-PBRN. Presented at IADR in Seattle, WA; March 2013 ID#175285
18. Law AS, Nixdorf DR, Look JO, Reams GJ, Smith JA, Sørensen LH, Torres AV for the National Dental PBRN Collaborative Group. Frequency of persistent pain following endodontics within the National-Dental-PBRN. Presented at IADR in Seattle, WA; March 2013 ID#176415
19. Nixdorf DR, Rabinowitz I, Law AS, Smith JA, Reams GJ, Sørensen LH, Torres AV, Look JO for the National Dental PBRN Collaborative Group. Impact of persistent pain following endodontics within The National-Dental PBRN. Presented at IADR in Seattle, WA; March 2013 ID#176863
20. Leon-Salazar V, Beiraghi S, Larson BE, Nixdorf DR, Idiyatullin D, Zhang J, Garwood M. Use of SWIFT MRI for Visualization of the Crainofacial Skeleton. Presented at IADR in Seattle, WA; March 2013 ID#178010
21. Kersten ME, Nixdorf DR, Goerke U, Bereiter DA. Temporal summation of intraoral pressure-pain using a modified MRI-compatible device. Presented at IADR in Iguaçu Fall, Brazil; June 2012 ID#166193
22. Law AS, Nixdorf DR, Look JO, Rindal DB, DURAND EC, KANG W, Gordan VV, FELLOWS JL, Gilbert GH and The DPBRN Collaborative Group. Feasibility of conducting large-scale endodontic research within The Dental PBRN. Presented at IADR in Iguaçu Fall, Brazil; June 2012 ID#163913
23. Rabinowitz I, Nixdorf DR, Look JO, Rindal DB, Gordan VV, Gilbert GH, Law AS and The DPBRN Collaborative Group. Peri-operative endodontic pain within The Dental Practice-Based Research Network. Presented at IADR in Iguaçu Fall, Brazil; June 2012 ID#164221
24. Durham J, Exley C, John M, Nixdorf DR. Characterising the pain, understanding the impacts, of persistent dentoalveolar pain. Presented at IADR in Iguaçu Fall, Brazil; June 2012 ID#162677
25. Fonseca Alonso B, Nixdorf DR. Cerebral palsy-related masticatory muscle pain treatment using botulinum toxin Type B following secondary non-response: A case report. Presented at SEDCYDO in Valencia, Spain; May 17-20, 2012
26. Rener-Sitar K, Nixdorf DR, Mulet-Pradera M, Schiffman EL, John MT. How Relevant are Existing Oral Health-Related Quality of Life Instruments for TMD Patients? Presented at AAOP in Las Vegas, NV; April 28-May 1, 2011.
27. Nixdorf DR, Jones RS, Leon-Salazar V, John MT, Idiyatullin D. Detecting early carious lesions: An ex-vivo MRI-based study. Presented at IADR in San Diego, CA; March 2011 ID#146119
28. Idiyatullin D, Corum C, Moeller S, Garwood M, Nixdorf DR. SWIFT, a new method for MRI in dentistry. Presented at IADR in San Diego, CA; March 2011 ID#147619
29. Moana-Filho E, Bereiter DA, Nixdorf DR. fMRI-measured brain activation evoked by dentoalveolar pressure in Atypical Odontalgia. Presented at IADR in San Diego, CA; March 2011 ID#148737
30. Alonso AA, Hodges JS, Durand S, Leon-Salazar V, John MT, Nixdorf DR. Intraoral quantitative sensory testing: Accounting for observer variability. Presented at IADR in San Diego, CA; March 2011 ID#150665
31. Nixdorf DR, Schiffman EL, Ohrbach R, List T, John MT, Anderson G, Look JO. Proposed revision of the ICHD-II criteria for headache or facial pain attributed to temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders. Presentation at IASP in Montreal, PQ; September 2010
32. Nixdorf DR, Moana EJ, John MT, Berieter DA, Harel N. Differences in central pain processing in patients with Atypical Odontalgia and match pain-free controls. Presented at Pain Imaging satellite meeting of IASP in Quebec City, PQ; August 2010
33. Moana EJ, Nixdorf DR, John MT, Berieter DA, Harel N. Development and testing of MRI-compatible intraoral device for somatosensory stimulation. Presentation at IADR in Barcelona, Spain; July 2010.
34. Schierz O, Nixdorf DR, Reissmann DR. Correlation of self-reported ability to concentrate and correlation with severity of chronic TMD pain. Presentation at IADR in Barcelona, Spain; July 2010.
35. Idiyatullin D, Corum C, Moeller S, Prasad H, Garwood M, Nixdorf DR. SWIFT verses x-ray in dental imaging. ISMRM meeting in Stockholm, Sweden; May 2010.
36. Nixdorf DR, John MT, Schierz O, Hellekant G. Self-reported severity of taste disturbances correlates with severity of TMD pain. Neuropathic Pain SIG satellite meeting in London, UK; August 2008.
37. Nixdorf DR, John MT, Wall MM, Fricton JR. Jaw and temple pain as distinct components within TMD pain. IADR meeting in Toronto, ON; July 2008.
38. Moana Filho EJ, Nixdorf DR, John MT, McGuire LA, Law AS. Meta-analysis assessing persistent pain following root canal therapies. IADR meeting in Toronto, ON; July 2008.
39. Sobieh R, Nixdorf DR. Use of N-of-1 Trials in the Clinical Care of Orofacial Pain. AAOP meeting in Los Angeles, CA; April 2008.
40. Moana Filho EJ, Nixdorf DR. Neuralgia Case Series: Trigeminal, Nervus Intermedius & Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia Cases Interpreted as TMD. AAOP meeting in Los Angeles, CA; April 2008.
41. Nixdorf DR, John MT, Wall MM, Schiffman EL. Psychometric evaluation of the modified Symptom Severity Index (SSI). IADR meeting – Toronto, ON; July 2008 J Dent Res 87(Spec Iss A);101029:2008.
42. Decker K, John MT, Nixdorf DR, Schiffman EL. Characteristic mouth opening: a precise measurement of vertical mandibular movements. IADR meeting - Toronto, ON; July 2008 J Dent Res 87(Spec Iss A):2008.
43. Nixdorf DR, Drangsholt M, Law AS, Rindal DB, Velly AM, Richman, JS Williams OD. . Persistent pain associated with root canal therapy. ACRT meeting - Washington, DC; March 2008.
44. Leppik IE, Rarick JO, Nixdorf DR, Goel V, Cloyd JC. Tolerability and safety of IM Levetiracetam in humans. AES meeting - Philadelphia, PA; December 2007.
45. Hemmaty A, Nixdorf DR, John MT, Look JO, Schiffman EL. Reliability and comparison of 3 tactile quantitative neurosensory tests in TMD patients without wide-spread pain. IADR meeting - New Orleans, LA; March 2007 J Dent Res 86(Spec Iss A):2007.
46. Giridharagopalan S, Nixdorf DR. Sympathetically involved pain initially presenting as TMD and then Parotiditis. AAOP & AAOM meeting - Phoenix, AZ; April 2005.
47. Alonso AA, Nixdorf DR. Case series of four different headaches presenting as tooth pain. AAOP & AAOM - Phoenix, AZ; April 2005.
48. MacMenanin L, Nixdorf DR, Rake S, Rake PA. Sevoflurane for office-based pediatric general anesthesia. AAOMS meeting - San Francisco, CA; September 2004.
49. Nixdorf DR, Heo G, Major PD. Controlled trial of botulinum toxin A for chronic myogenous orofacial pain. IASP meeting - San Diego, CA; August 2002.
50. Peters E, Yu D, Yu H, Nixdorf D. Localized endodontic associated exostosis. AAOMP meeting - New Orleans, LA; April 2002.
51. Sasvari D, Peters E, Bagnall K, Nixdorf DR. Non-specific radicular pulp calcifications associated with odontalgia. IAOP meeting - Guatemala City, Guatemala; September 2000.
52. Nixdorf DR, Osborn JW. Normal human bite force direction. Biannual Prairie Province Research meeting - Saskatoon, SK; October 1993.
1. Sakhi E, Nixdorf DR, Beiraghi S. The effect of adding chloral hydrate to meperidine and hydroxyzine oral sedation. AAPD meeting - San Francisco, CA; May 2004.
2. Nixdorf DR, Weed HG. Is preoperative testing of coagulation & anticonvulsants necessary? Post College Assembly - Columbus, OH; April 1998.
3. Nixdorf DR, Osborn JW. Normal Human Bite Force Direction. CDA meeting - Ottawa, ON; September 1995.
Letters & Commentaries
1. Nixdorf DR. BTX-A for persistent myofascial TMD pain: Interpreting a small clinical trial with negative results. Pain (September) 2011;152(9):1944-1945.
2. Bereiter DA, Okamoto K, Tashiro A, Nixdorf DR. A comment on experimental occlusal interference induces long-term masticatory muscle hyperalgesia in rats by Cao et al. Pain (March) 2010;148(3):519; author reply 519-20.
1. Nixdorf DR, Nasseh AA. Differential diagnosis of persistent pain after toot canal treatment. Uploaded in April 9, 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmspxYsJq7s
2. Nixdorf DR, Knaup D. Peri-operative pain and root canal therapy. Uploaded in May 24, 2014