Estephan J. Moana-Filho
Estephan J. Moana-Filho, D.D.S., M.S., Ph.D.
Clinical Assistant Professor
Division of TMD and Orofacial Pain
Department of Diagnostic and Biological Sciences
TMD/Orofacial Pain, Advanced Clinical Training Program in TMD and Orofacial Pain, University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, 2008
M.S., Dentistry, University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, 2010
Ph.D., Oral Biology, University of North Carolina School of Dentistry, 2014
Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.), Bauru School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo (Brazil), 1997
6-320d Moos Tower
515 Delaware St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Orofacial pain conditions including temporomandibular disorders, persistent dentoalveolar pain, trigeminal neuralgia; Neuroimaging; Psychophysics; Systems neuroscience; Non-invasive brain stimulation.
Research Assistant 2010-Present
Project: Mechanisms of Sensory Processing in Fibromyalgia
P.I.: Richard H. Gracely, Ph.D.
Funding agency: NIH/NIAMS
- Helped development of experimental protocol for aims 1 (psychophysics) and 2 (psychophysics, behavioral, neuroimaging)
- Helped development of stimuli delivery equipment and software for both aims
- Developed multi-modal neuroimaging protocol
- Collected data for aims 1 and 2 (N=120, 60 in each aim)
- Performed preliminary data analysis for aim 1
- Did data organization and backup for both aims
- Mentored undergraduate student in preliminary analysis of aim 2 psychophysical and behavioral data
- Taught a semester-long course on UNIX computer systems and neuroimaging analysis to the members of our research group
- Currently performing comprehensive analysis of multi-modal neuroimaging data (anatomical, diffusion-weighted, stimulus-evoked functional, resting-state)
Cascio, C. J., Moana-Filho, E. J., Guest, S., Nebel, M. B., Weisner, J., Baranek, G. T. and Essick, G. K. (2012). "Perceptual and neural response to affective tactile texture stimulation in adults with autism spectrum disorders." Autism Res 5(4): 231-
Nixdorf, D. R. and Moana-Filho, E. J. (2011). "Persistent dento-alveolar pain disorder (PDAP): Working towards a better understanding." Reviews in Pain 5(4): 18-25.
Moana-Filho, E. J., Nixdorf, D. R., Bereiter, D. A., John, M. T. and Harel, N. (2010). "Evaluation of a magnetic resonance-compatible dentoalveolar tactile stimulus device." BMC Neurosci 11(1): 142.
Nixdorf, D. R., Moana-Filho, E. J., Law, A. S., McGuire, L. A., Hodges, J. S. and John, M. T. (2010). "Frequency of Persistent Tooth Pain after Root Canal Therapy: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis." J Endod 36(2): 224-230.
Nixdorf, D. R., Moana-Filho, E. J., Law, A. S., McGuire, L. A., Hodges, J. S. and John, M. T. (2010). "Frequency of Nonodontogenic Pain After Endodontic Therapy: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis." J Endod 36(9): 1494-8.
Moana-Filho, E. J. (2005). Survey of attitudes and beliefs of orthodontists regarding temporomandibular dysfunction and orofacial pain. [Article in Portuguese -Levantamento das atitudes e crenças dos ortodontistas com relação à disfunção têmporo-mandibular e dor orofacial.] R Dental Press Ortodon Ortop Facial 10(4): 60-75.
Moana-Filho, E. J. and Silva, S. M. B. (2000). Fluoride varnishes - critical review of the literature. [Article in Portuguese - Vernizes fluoretados: revisão crítica da literatura.] Rev. APCD 54(2): 149-55.