Mike T. John
Division of TMD and Orofacial Pain
Department of Diagnostic and Biological Sciences
Public Health, MPH, University of Washington School of Public Health, 2001
Epidemiology, Ph.D., University of Washington School of Public Health, 2002
Dentistry, Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg (Germany), Dr. med. dent. habil., 2004; Dentistry, Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg (Germany), Dr. med. dent., 1993
6-320d Moos Tower
515 Delaware St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
I graduated from the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg at Halle/Saale, Germany, in 1992 where I received my dental degree. I started working as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Prosthodontics and joined the Department of Prosthodontics and Materials Sciences at the University of Leipzig, Germany as an Associate Professor in 2004.
In 2007, I joined the Division of TMD and Orofacial Pain, Department of Diagnostic and Biological Sciences at the University of Minnesota. My research fields of interest include the investigation of the etiology, diagnosis and classification of temporomandibular disorders and the assessment of outcomes of common oral treatments using the concept oral health-related quality of life. I am actively engaged in international collaborative research. I also hold an appointment as adjunct associate professor in the Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota
Oral health-related quality of life
1. Sierwald I, John MT, Durham J, Mirzakhanian C, Reissmann DR. Validation of the response format of the Oral Health Impact Profile. Eur J Oral Sci. 2011 Dec;119(6):489-96.
2. John MT. Whiplash is likely to be associated with temporomandibular disorder symptoms, but the magnitude of this association is not known. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2011 Sep;11(3):127-8.
3. Maillet M, Bowles WR, McClanahan SL, John MT, Ahmad M. Cone-beam computed tomography evaluation of maxillary sinusitis. J Endod. 2011 Jun;37(6):753-7.
4. Bekes K, John MT, Schaller HG, Hirsch C. The German version of the child perceptions questionnaire on oral health-related quality of life (CPQ-G11-14): population-based norm values. J Orofac Orthop. 2011 Jul;72(3):223-33.
5. Inoue M, John MT, Tsukasaki H, Furuyama C, Baba K. Denture quality has a minimal effect on health-related quality of life in patients with removable dentures. J Oral Rehabil. 2011 Nov;38(11):818-26.
6. Kudo Y, John MT, Saito Y, Sur S, Furuyama C, Tsukasaki H, Baba K. Oral health in the Japan self-defense forces - a representative survey. BMC Oral Health. 2011 Apr 19;11:14.
7. Beiraghi S, Leon-Salazar V, Larson BE, John MT, Cunningham ML, Petryk A, Lohr JL. Craniofacial and intraoral phenotype of Robinow syndrome forms. Clin Genet. 2011 Jul;80(1):15-24.
8. van der Meulen MJ, Lobbezoo F, John MT, Naeije M. [Oral health impact profile. an instrument for measuring the impact of oral health on the quality of life]. Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd. 2011 Mar;118(3):134-9.
9. Moufti MA, Wassell RW, Meechan JG, Allen PF, John MT, Steele JG. The Oral Health Impact Profile: ranking of items for temporomandibular disorders. Eur J Oral Sci. 2011 Apr;119(2):169-74.
10. Reissmann DR, Schierz O, Szentpétery AG, John MT. Improved perceived general health is observed with prosthodontic treatment. J Dent. 2011 Apr;39(4):326-31.
11. Reissmann DR, John MT, Schierz O. Influence of administration method on oral health-related quality of life assessment using the Oral Health Impact Profile. Eur J Oral Sci. 2011 Feb;119(1):73-8.
12. Anderson GC, John MT, Ohrbach R, Nixdorf DR, Schiffman EL, Truelove ES, List T. Influence of headache frequency on clinical signs and symptoms of TMD in subjects with temple headache and TMD pain. Pain. 2011 Apr;152(4):765-71.
13. Szabó G, John MT, Szántó I, Marada G, Kende D, Szentpétery A. Impaired oral health-related quality of life in Hungary. Acta Odontol Scand. 2011 Mar;69(2):108-17.
John MT. Individuals sustaining snowboarding and skiing accidents have different maxillofacial injury profiles. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2010 Dec;10(4):259-60.
Moana-Filho EJ, Nixdorf DR, Bereiter DA, John MT, Harel N. Evaluation of a magnetic resonance-compatible dentoalveolar tactile stimulus device. BMC Neurosci. 2010 Oct 28;11:142.
Inukai M, John MT, Igarashi Y, Baba K. Association between perceived chewing ability and oral health-related quality of life in partially dentate patients. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2010 Oct 19;8:118.
Nixdorf DR, Moana-Filho EJ, Law AS, McGuire LA, Hodges JS, John MT. Frequency of nonodontogenic pain after endodontic therapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Endod. 2010 Sep;36(9):1494-8.
Larsson P, John MT, Nilner K, List T. Reliability and validity of the Orofacial Esthetic Scale in prosthodontic patients. Int J Prosthodont. 2010 May-Jun;23(3):257-62.
Larsson P, John MT, Nilner K, Bondemark L, List T. Development of an Orofacial Esthetic Scale in prosthodontic patients. Int J Prosthodont. 2010 May-Jun;23(3):249-56.
John MT. Improving TMD classification using the Delphi technique. J Oral Rehabil. 2010 Oct;37(10):766-70.
John MT. Dentists should participate in the management of patients with obstructive sleep apnea and socially disruptive snoring-findings from a survey of Scottish sleep specialists. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2010 Jun;10(2):107-8.
Schiffman EL, Ohrbach R, Truelove EL, Tai F, Anderson GC, Pan W, Gonzalez YM, John MT, Sommers E, List T, Velly AM, Kang W, Look JO. The Research Diagnostic Criteria for Temporomandibular Disorders. V: methods used to establish and validate revised Axis I diagnostic algorithms. J Orofac Pain. 2010 Winter;24(1):63-78.
Look JO, John MT, Tai F, Huggins KH, Lenton PA, Truelove EL, Ohrbach R, Anderson GC, Shiffman EL. The Research Diagnostic Criteria For Temporomandibular Disorders. II: reliability of Axis I diagnoses and selected clinical measures. J Orofac Pain. 2010 Winter;24(1):25-34.
Schiffman EL, Truelove EL, Ohrbach R, Anderson GC, John MT, List T, Look JO. The Research Diagnostic Criteria for Temporomandibular Disorders. I: overview and methodology for assessment of validity. J Orofac Pain. 2010 Winter;24(1):7-24.
Nixdorf DR, Moana-Filho EJ, Law AS, McGuire LA, Hodges JS, John MT. Frequency of persistent tooth pain after root canal therapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Endod. 2010 Feb;36(2):224-30.
Nixdorf DR, John MT, Wall MM, Fricton JR, Schiffman EL. Psychometric properties of the modified Symptom Severity Index (SSI). J Oral Rehabil. 2010 Jan;37(1):11-20.
1. John MT. Patients treated by surgery for oral and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma report similar appearance issues at follow-up as the general population. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2009 Dec;9(4):244-6.
2. Reißmann DR, John MT, Schierz O, Hirsch C. An abbreviated version of RDC/TMD. Schmerz. 2009 Oct 17. [Epub ahead of print].
3. Nixdorf DR, John MT, Schierz O, Bereiter DA, Hellekant G. Self-reported severity of taste disturbances correlates with dysfunctional grade of TMD pain. J Oral Rehabil. 2009 Nov;36(11):792-800.
4. Nixdorf DR, Hemmaty A, Look JO, Schiffman EL, John MT. Electric toothbrush application is a reliable and valid test for differentiating temporomandibular disorders pain patients from controls. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2009 Jul 30;10:94.
5. Ahmad M, Hollender L, Anderson Q, Kartha K, Ohrbach R, Truelove EL, John MT, Schiffman EL. Research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders (RDC/TMD): development of image analysis criteria and examiner reliability for image analysis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009 Jun;107(6):844-60.
6. John MT, Reissmann DR, Szentpétery A, Steele J. An approach to define clinical significance in prosthodontics. J Prosthodont. 2009 Jul;18(5):455-60.
7. Sanders AE, Slade GD, John MT, Steele JG, Suominen-Taipale AL, Lahti S, Nuttall NM, Allen PF. A cross-national comparison of income gradients in oral health quality of life in four welfare states: application of the Korpi and Palme typology. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2009 Jul;63(7):569-74.
8. Baba K, John MT, Inukai M, Aridome K, Igarahsi Y. Validating an alternate version of the chewing function questionnaire in partially dentate patients. BMC Oral Health. 2009 Mar 16;9:9.
9. John MT. Complementary and alternative medicine may be effective for reducing TMD pain. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2009 Mar;9(1):18-20.
10. Bekes K, John MT, Schaller HG, Hirsch C. Oral health-related quality of life in patients seeking care for dentin hypersensitivity. J Oral Rehabil. 2009 Jan;36(1):45-51.
1. Hirsch C, John MT, Stang A. Association between generalized joint hypermobility and signs and diagnoses of temporomandibular disorders. Eur J Oral Sci. 2008 Dec;116(6):525-30.
2. Baba K, Igarashi Y, Nishiyama A, John MT, Akagawa Y, Ikebe K, Ishigami T, Kobayashi H, Yamashita S. Patterns of missing occlusal units and oral health-related quality of life in SDA patients. J Oral Rehabil. 2008 Aug;35(8):621-8.
3. Inukai M, Baba K, John MT, Igarashi Y. Does removable partial denture quality affect individuals' oral health? J Dent Res. 2008 Aug;87(8):736-9.
4. Reißmann D, Krautz M, Schierz O, John MT, Rudolph M, Szentpétery A: Was ist klinisch relevant bei Veränderungen der Mundgesundheit?: Ergebnisse der deutschen Kurzversion des Oral Health Impact Profiles (OHIP-G14) - Assessment of clinically significant changes in oral health: Results from the German short version of the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP-G14). Dtsch Zahnärztl Z (German Dental Journal) 2008 Oct;63 (10): 668-681.
5. John MT, Reissmann DR, Schierz O, Allen F. No significant retest effects in oral health-related quality of life assessment using the Oral Health Impact Profile. Acta Odontol Scand. 2008 Jun;66(3):135-8.
6. Al-Jundi MA, John MT, Setz JM, Szentpétery A, Kuss O. Meta-analysis of treatment need for temporomandibular disorders in adult nonpatients. J Orofac Pain. 2008 Spring;22(2):97-107.
7. Schierz O, John MT, Reissmann DR, Mehrstedt M, Szentpétery A. Comparison of perceived oral health in patients with temporomandibular disorders and dental anxiety using oral health-related quality of life profiles. Qual Life Res. 2008 Aug;17(6):857-66.
8. Reissmann DR, John MT, Wassell RW, Hinz A. Psychosocial profiles of diagnostic subgroups of temporomandibular disorder patients. Eur J Oral Sci. 2008 Jun;116(3):237-44.
9. van der Meulen MJ, John MT, Naeije M, Lobbezoo F. The Dutch version of the Oral Health Impact Profile (OHIP-NL): Translation, reliability and construct validity. BMC Oral Health. 2008 Apr 11;8:11.
10. Baba K, Igarashi Y, Nishiyama A, John MT, Akagawa Y, Ikebe K, Ishigami T, Kobayashi H, Yamashita S. The relationship between missing occlusal units and oral health-related quality of life in patients with shortened dental arches. Int J Prosthodont. 2008 Jan-Feb;21(1):72-4.
11. Baba K, Inukai M, John MT. Feasibility of oral health-related quality of life assessment in prosthodontic patients using abbreviated Oral Health Impact Profile questionnaires. J Oral Rehabil. 2008 Mar;35(3):224-8.
12. Sobotta BA, John MT, Nitschke I. Cruise medicine: the dental perspective on health care for passengers during a world cruise. J Travel Med. 2008 Jan-Feb;15(1):19-24.