Division of Operative Dentistry
Department of Restorative Sciences
BA, St. Mary's College (now University of St. Mary's), Winona, Minn., 1966 - B.S., University of Minnesota, 1968
MSD, University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, 1976
Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS), University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, 1970
8-376a Moos Tower
515 Delaware St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Dr. Larson began teaching part-time in 1972 and full-time at the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry in 1973. He has been the course director for all of the preclinical and clinical operative dentistry courses at one time in his career and has served as the preclinical director and clinical director in the division of operative dentistry. He spent ten years in administrative positions in the school ending as the associate dean for academic affairs.
Since returning to teaching Dr. Larson has begun researching best evidence for restorative procedures, materials and techniques to provide a background for clinical guidelines. He is known for his skill and ability in performing and teaching esthetic procedures in restorative dentistry. He has been invited to present over 170 continuing education courses on these topics.
He has been active in the community as a member of the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry Alumni Society (President 1994-95), the Minneapolis District Dental Society, the Minnesota Dental Association (chair of several committees), American Dental Association, Academy of Operative Dentistry , Minnesota Academy of Restorative Dentistry (President 1995-96) Academy for Comprehensive Dentistry, Minnesota Prosthodontic Society, G.V. Black Study Club (President 1979-84), Omicron Kappa Upsilon (Secretary-Treasurer 1994-2003). He also served as a member of the Minnesota Dental Foundation Board of Directors for ten years.
He has been very active on various committees in the School of Dentistry having served on thirty-two committees in his career and been the Chair of both the Clinical Affairs Committee and the Educational Policy Committee. He has served as Chair of the Presidents Student Behavior Review Panel for the University and presently serves on the Senate Judicial Affairs Committee.
He has served as a reviewer for national dental journals and been a consultant in the development of new products for several of the largest dental manufacturers during his career. He is presently the Clinical Editor of Northwest Dentistry.
Dr. Larson is reviewing restorative care research and developing clinical guidelines and best evidence for clinical procedures, materials and restorative prescriptions for care. He has published previously on esthetic materials, procedures and techniques in regional, national and international journals. He pursues excellence in esthetic restorative treatment and outcomes.
Certificate of Appreciation, Minnesota Dental Association 1973, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1981, 1987
Elected to Omicron Kappa Upsilon 1976
Certificate of Appreciation, Academy of Operative Dentistry 1979, 1990
Certificate of Appreciation, American Dental Association 1980
"Who's Who In The Midwest" 1986
Fellow, American College of Dentists 1991
1. Larson TD. The top ten list of things we don't do anymore/the best of now. Part two. Northwest Dent. 2013 Jul-Aug;92(4):19-21.
2. Larson TD. The top ten list of things we don't do anymore/the best of now. Part one. Northwest Dent. 2013 May-Jun;92(3):14-8.
3. Larson TD. Clinical uses of glutaraldehyde/2-hydroxyethylmethacrylate (GLUMA). Northwest Dent. 2013 Mar-Apr;92(2):27-30.
4. Larson TD. The effect of occlusal forces on restorations. Northwest Dent. 2012 Nov-Dec;91(6):25-7, 29-35.
5. Larson TD, As far as you can: a tribute to Lynda Young. Bebeau M, Olin P, Stoltenberg JL, Baudek MA. Northwest Dent. 2012 Nov-Dec;91(6):20-3.
6. Larson TD. Extension for prevention: margin placement. Northwest Dent. 2012 Mar-Apr;91(2):12-6, 17, 19 passim.
7. Larson TD. The clinical significance of marginal fit. Northwest Dent. 2012 Jan-Feb;91(1):22-9.
8. Larson TD. Why do we polish? Part one. Northwest Dent. 2011 May-Jun;90(3):17-22.
9. Larson TD. Causes and treatment of root resorption. Northwest Dent. 2010 May-Jun;89(3):45-7.
10. Larson TD. Tooth wear: when to treat, why, and how. Part two. Northwest Dent. 2009 Nov-Dec;88(6):19-28.
11. Larson TD. Tooth wear: when to treat, why, and how. Part One. Northwest Dent. 2009 Sep-Oct;88(5):31-8.
12. Hildebrandt G, Larson TD. Management of rampant caries. Northwest Dent. 2009 Jan-Feb;88(1):35-7, 39-41, 43-5 passim.
13. Larson TD. The therapeutic use of glass ionomer. Northwest Dent. 2008 Nov-Dec;87(6):13-9.
14. Larson TD. Atraumatic tooth preparation. Northwest Dent. 2008 Jan-Feb;87(1):29-34.
15. Larson TD. Part two: The restoration of non-vital teeth: structural, biological, and micromechanical issues in maintaining tooth longevity. Northwest Dent. 2006 Nov-Dec;85(6):23-5, 27, 29-32 passim.
16. Larson TD. Part one: The restoration of non-vital teeth: structural, biological, and micromechanical issues in maintaining tooth longevity. Northwest Dent. 2006 Sep-Oct;85(5):29, 31, 33-5 passim.
17. Larson TD. The uses of silane and surface treatment in bonding. Northwest Dent. 2006 May-Jun;85(3):27-30.
18. Larson TD. The clinical significance and management of microleakage. Part two. Northwest Dent. 2005 Mar-Apr;84(2):15-9.
19. Larson TD. The clinical significance and management of microleakage. Part one. Northwest Dent. 2005 Jan-Feb;84(1):23-5, 28-9, 31, passim.
20. Larson TD. Core restoration for crown preparation. Northwest Dent. 2004 Sep-Oct;83(5):19, 22-5, 28.
21. Larson TD. In search of a gold standard. Northwest Dent. 2003 Nov-Dec;82(6):13-8. Review. Erratum in: Northwest Dent. 2004 Jan-Feb;83(1):4.
22. Larson TD. 25 years of veneering: what have we learned? Northwest Dent. 2003 Jul-Aug;82(4):35-9.
23. Larson TD. Tooth whitening: review of the literature. Northwest Dent. 1994 Jul-Aug;73(4):21-6.
24. Larson TD. Whitening. J Am Dent Assoc. 1992 Apr;123(4):18, 20.
25. Larson TD. Effect of peroxides on teeth and tissue. Review of the literature. Northwest Dent. 1990 Nov-Dec;69(6):29-32.
26. Ford RT, Larson TD, Schultz CJ. Teaching comprehensive treatment planning within a patient-centered care model. J Dent Educ. 1988 Feb;52(2):114-7.
27. Larson TD, Phair CB. Use of glass ionomer restorative and microfill composite resin veneers to improve esthetics in periodontally involved teeth. Quintessence Int. 1987 Dec;18(12):871-4.
28. Larson TD, Phair CB. The use of a direct bonded microfilled composite resin veneer. J Am Dent Assoc. 1987 Sep;115(3):449-53.
29. Larson TD. Techniques for achieving realistic color distribution in large composite resin restorations.J Am Dent Assoc. 1986 May;112(5):669-72.
30. Larson TD, Douglas WH, Geistfeld RE. Effect of prepared cavities on the strength of teeth. Oper Dent. 1981;6(1):2-5.
31. Larson TD, Jensen JR. Microleakage of composite resin and amalgam core material under complete cast crowns. J Prosthet Dent. 1980 Jul;44(1):40-4.
32. Larson TD. Precontoured matrix for Class V composites. Northwest Dent. 1977 Sep-Oct;56(5):225-6.