Hibbing Community College Dental Clinic
Dental students assigned to this clinic become familiar with the characteristics of a rural practice and gain experience in developing comprehensive dental treatment plans.
Rice Regional Dental Clinic
Rice Memorial Hospital has constructed a ten chair dental clinic within their hospital designed to treat many of the underserved patients in a surrounding 17 county area.
Prairie Winds Dental Clinic
Prairie Winds Dental Clinic in Howard, South Dakota is a ten chair dental clinic owned by Horizon Health Care, a non-profit organization committed to providing health care to underserved patients throughout South Dakota.
Mobile Dental Clinic
Bringing oral health to the community, the Mobile Dental Clinic serves a population that is underserved due to multiple access issues.
Native American Community Clinic
NACC's mission is to promote wellness and health maintenance in Native American families, decrease health disparities in Native Americans in the metropolitan area, and provide care regardless of ability to pay.
Community University Health Care Center
The rotation at the CUHCC site in south Minneapolis allows the dental student to provide comprehensive care to a patient population with a wide variety of age, ethnicity and dental needs.
The Union Gospel Mission clinic provides dental care services to an underserved population in St. Paul.
Summer externships for dental students
The three-week August externship opportunity is a time when senior dental students may volunteer to participate in an externship.
The School of Dentistry has a strong commitment to community outreach, and our community oral health activities are an important part of both our education and service mission. Outreach experiences provide an opportunity for dental, dental therapy and dental hygiene students to:
- Develop a broad understanding of the community and social responsibilities they will have as dental professionals
- Treat a diversity of patients with a variety of oral health care needs
- Enhance their clinical skills
- Participate in inter-professional learning experiences.
- Involve students in community health promotion and service opportunities
- Promote dental opportunities at school surrounding greater Minnesota Outreach sites.
Qualified fourth year dental students, third year dental therapy students, and fourth year dental hygiene students treat patients under faculty supervision.
Outreach at the School of Dentistry
Voluntary Outreach Opportunities
Students can gain clinical experience in the community through voluntary outreach opportunities, including the Union Gospel Mission and various events through the School of Dentistry.
Outreach as a Condition of Graduation
Community outreach experiences are required as a condition of graduation for dental, dental therapy, and dental hygiene students. Students have several opportunities to fulfill this requirement with rotations to:
- Mobile Dental Clinic (MDC)
- Community University Health Care Center (CUHCC)
- Hibbing Community College Dental Clinic
- Native American Community Clinic Dental Clinic
- Prairie Winds Dental Clinic
- Rice Regional Dental Clinic