The following is a list of topics covered for dental, dental hygiene, dental therapy and graduate students:
- The prevalence and the systemic and local effects of smoking and smokeless tobacco use.
- Smoking as a major risk factor for periodontal diseases.
- The effects of tobacco use on treatment results.
- Nicotine Addiction
- Benefits of a tobacco-free lifestyle
- Stages of Change
- Clinical interventions
- Use of nicotine and non-nicotine pharmacologic therapy
- The tobacco industry influence
- The role of oral health care providers in policy and media advocacy
A protocol for brief interventions by students with their tobacco using patients is in place in the School of Dentistry clinics. These patients are followed-up and given continued support and encouragement for their cessation efforts.