The Saturday Academy is designed to provide middle school and high school students exposure to dentistry and to enhance science, math, English, and leadership skills. The goal of the Saturday Academy is that these students will enter college and pursue science disciplines to prepare them for a career in dentistry or other health professions.
All Saturday Academy activities will take place on the University of Minnesota campus except for field trips and visits to the community. Saturday Academy programming will be held on Saturdays during the school year. During the summer, sessions may be held during the week in order to provide more opportunities to the students. Activities will be taught by actual University of Minnesota faculty, graduate teaching assistants, and dental students. Each session will feature six hours of structured learning activities per day, plus a break for lunch during which time they will receive mentorship from dental students. These educational enrichment and career support activities are designed to enhance students’ academic performance and support the project’s ultimate goal of increasing the number of minority and disadvantaged students who will consider dentistry as a career option.
Structure of Program
Saturday Academy students will participate in a 20 session academic school year and summer program that will:
- Provide enrichment experiences in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) subjects, as well as in English and leadership
- Allow students to participate in fun activities to learn more about good oral health habits
- Engage students in a hands-on introduction to dentistry--including our fun “Plaque Attack” activities, making impressions of teeth, and much more!
- Give students the opportunity to learn more about dental school from current dental students
- Visit area dental clinics and other health care facilities
To be eligible for the program, students must be:
- Enrolled in a middle or high school in the Minneapolis School District
- Receive free or reduced lunch
- Have a strong interest in the sciences, math, or technology
- Willing to commit to ALL 20 Saturday Academy sessions (both during the school year and during the summer!)
- Recommended by a science or math teacher
DEADLINE EXTENDED: May 15, 2012 (September 2012 start), November 30, 2012 (January 2013 start)
PLEASE SUBMIT COMPLETED APPLICATIONS AND FORMS TO:
Health Careers Opportunity Program
School of Dentistry, Office of Admissions and Diversity
15-163 Moos Tower
515 Delaware Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
For questions contact Heath Careers Opportunity Program Staff at 612-625-5472 or Staff—email@example.com or Office of Admissions and Diversity Staff at 612-625-7477
The Saturday Academy is a Health Career Opportunity Program (HCOP) funded by the Bureau of Health Professions of the Human Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.