Providing Exemplary Care to LGBTQ+ Youth and Young Adults
Learn How To
Defining Barriers and Realities
- Recognize sexual and gender identity formation experiences in LGBTQ+ youth and young adults
- Identify barriers to high-quality overall health and oral health care among LGBTQ+ youth and young adults
- Weigh the role of parents and guardians in the lives and well-being of LGBTQ+ youth and young adults
- Appreciate the importance of pronoun use in patient conversations
- Integrate current LGBTQ+ terminology into patient conversations
- Define the “coming out” process, what it means, and its implications
- Discuss tobacco, alcohol, and other drug use/misuse, including vaping, among LGBTQ+ youth and young adults
- Analyze mental health and suicide risks for LGBTQ+ youth and young adults, including disordered eating and body dysmorphia
- Recognize the effects of gender-affirming therapy, including hormones and other treatment, on dental & overall health
- Scrutinize health-related stereotypes and your own biases impact care for LGBTQ+ youth and young adults
- Ask the correct questions with sensitivity
- Remove bias from patient intake processes, health history practices, and record-keeping
Reshaping Your Practice
- Adapt up-to-date strategies communications strategies in your dental or medical office setting
- Utilize updated language in conversations
- Update the physical environment and recordkeeping landscape of your dental or medical office
- Attract and retain LGBTQ+ colleagues
- Support transgender co-workers
Illustrated lectures, panel discussions, case studies
Credits and Fees
$195 health professional
$95 undergraduate student, resident or fellow
Eligible for AMA PRA Category II Credit.
6 Fundamental Credit Hours
Includes CORE Subject Area:
- Patient Communication
- Record Keeping
Meet our Expert
Mitchell (Mitch) R. Lunn, MD, MAS, FACP, FASN, is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Nephrology of the Department of Medicine at Stanford University School of Medicine. He earned his Bachelor of Science degree from Tufts University, his Doctor of Medicine degree from Stanford University School of Medicine, and his Masters in Advanced Studies degree in Clinical Research from the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). He completed an internal medicine internship and residency training at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and a nephrology fellowship at UCSF. Dr. Lunn is the co-director of PRIDEnet, a participant-powered research network of sexual and gender minorities (SGM) that engages SGM communities at all stages of the biomedical research process: research question generation and prioritization, study design, recruitment, participation, data analysis, and results dissemination. He is also the co-director of The PRIDE Study, a national, online, prospective, longitudinal general health cohort study of over 13,200 SGM people.
It is the policy of the University of Minnesota Office of Continuing Dental Education to ensure balance, independence, objectivity and scientific rigor in all of its sponsored educational activities. All participating speakers, course directors, and planning committee members are required to disclose to the program audience any financial relationships related to the subject matter of this program. Relationships of spouse/partner with proprietary entities producing health care goods or services should be disclosed if they are of a nature that may influence the objectivity of the individual in a position to control the content of the CDE activity. Disclosure information is reviewed in advance in order to manage and resolve any possible conflicts of interest. Specific disclosure information for each speaker, course director, and planning committee member will be shared with the audience prior to the speaker’s presentation.
Continuing Dental Education Staff members have nothing to disclose.
The following information was received from our speakers for this course. It is not assumed these financial interests or affiliations will have an adverse impact on course presentations. They simply are noted here to fully inform course participants.
Mitchell Lunn, MD, MAS, FACP, FASN
Indicated no relevant affiliations or financial interests. Speaker does not intend to discuss an off-label/investigative use of a commercial product/device.
About Dr. Robert J. Feigal
Dr. Feigal was a Professor, the Director of the Graduate Program in Pediatric Dentistry and Chair of the Department of Preventive Sciences at the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry. He received his DDS degree, a PhD in oral biology, and a certificate in pediatric dentistry from the University of Minnesota. After 15 years on the dental school faculty, he joined the faculty at the University of Michigan, where he was awarded the Samuel D. Harris Professorship in Dentistry in 2000, and also served as Interim Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Facilities & Planning.
During his distinguished career, Dr. Feigal trained more than 120 specialists in pediatric dentistry. These graduate students were the pride of his professional life. His research interests focused on caries management, sealants, and behavior guidance techniques in pediatric dentistry. A Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry, he lectured throughout the U.S., Europe, Latin America, and Asia; and published more than 70 articles and book chapters.
The University of Minnesota established the annual Robert J. Feigal Symposium honoring Bob's ongoing contributions to the field of pediatric dentistry. Fortunately, he was able to attend the first two symposia before his death. Bob was not only a dynamic teacher but an ever-willing co-learner of life.
Committee & Supporters
Thank you to the Feigal Lectureship Directors Group for their leadership and incredible kindness. Members include:
Soraya Beiraghi, DDS, MS, MSD
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry
Adena Borodkin, DDS, MS
Golden Valley Kids
Dr. Borodkin serves as the Chair of the committee.
Richard Baylon, DDS
Baylon & Beinlich Pediatric Dentistry
Archana Mani, DDS
Metro Dentalcare Children’s Dentistry
Daniel Raether, DDS, MS
Gayathri Sambasivan, DDS
Dentistry for Children and Adolescents
We appreciate the generosity of the donors to the Robert J. Feigal Lectureship Endowment for their support of this new continuing education offering in support of pediatric dental innovation.