Frequently Asked Questions


Does my application need to go through PASS?

Yes. We participate in ADEA Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS).

Does your program participate in Match?

Yes, our program will be participating in Phase 1 of the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program through the National Matching Services.

If I apply to your program through PASS, do I also have to register to participate in the Match?

Yes, PASS involves completing one standardized online application while Match provides a process to place applicants into their preferred prosthodontic programs after the interview cycle.

Are there any application materials to submit directly to the program?

Yes, please email and submit the following items directly to the program. Items to email to the Program Administrative Specialist Yvonne Christensen:

  • Headshot photo
  • Scanned copy of dental school diploma (if training program completed)

University of Minnesota supplemental application processing fee of $70.00

Can I pay my supplemental application processing fee by credit card?

Yes, you can make your supplemental application processing fee online by credit card.  We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover. Click on this link to pay: 

Do you accept applications from foreign-trained dentists?

Yes, we accept applications from foreign-trained dentists.

I am an international applicant and I have completed 2 years of higher education in the United States. Do I still need to submit a TOEFL score of English proficiency as part of my application?

Yes, we require all international applicants, other than those from Canada whose native language is English, to submit a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score with their application.

What is the minimum TOEFL score required?

A minimum score of 100 for the internet-based TOEFL or 600 for the paper-based TOEFL is required for your application to be considered.

Do you accept the results of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) in lieu of the TOEFL examination?

We only accept the results of the TOEFL at this time.

I am an international applicant. Am I eligible for licensure in the USA after successful completion of the program?

You would need to consult with US Immigration Services in addition to the individual state boards for the process of licensure for dentists from non-accredited dental schools.

I am an international applicant. Should I submit my official transcripts in my native language or in English?

All transcripts should be submitted in your native language in addition to being transcribed in English.

Do you require the ECE or may I send the certified translation from my University?

For foreign applicants outside the US and Canada, please submit your transcripts to Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) to prepare a general evaluation report or a course-by-course evaluation report that identify the United States equivalents of educational qualifications earned in other countries.

Do you require a GRE score?

No. We do not require a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score.

Do you require the Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT)?

No. We do not require the Advanced Dental Admission Test (ADAT).

Will I be eligible to take the American or Canadian specialty board examinations after the completion of this program?

Yes. This program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA); therefore, you would be educationally qualified to apply for board eligibility with the American Board of Prosthodontics (ABP). CODA has a reciprocal accreditation agreement with the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada (CDAC); therefore, you would also be educationally qualified to apply for board eligibility with the Royal College of Dentists of Canada (RCDC).

Do you offer a dental implant fellowship program after completion of a residency program in prosthodontics?

No. We do not offer an implant fellowship program.

What are your tuition rates for non-residents of Minnesota?

Non-residents of Minnesota will have a waiver added to their student accounts so the tuition will equal the resident rate.

Can I pursue a PhD along with my Certificate in Prosthodontics?

No. Our program is designed for you to complete a Master of Science along with your Certificate in Prosthodontics.

Is it optional to complete the requirements for a Master of Science degree?

No. All residents are expected to fulfill the educational requirements for a Certificate in Prosthodontics and a Master of Science degree.

Can I submit application materials after the deadline?

It is not likely that your application will be considered if materials are submitted after the deadline.

As a foreign-trained dentist, do I need to submit NBDE scores?

No. Only US trained applicants should submit National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) results.

If I am selected for an interview, can I bring my own wax, instruments, and equipment, to complete the wax carving exercise?

Yes. Although everything will be provided that you will need, you are welcome to bring your own supplies and tools.