Master of Science
The Master of Science in Dental Hygiene (MSDH) program prepares leaders in the profession for research, the healthcare industry and academia.
Online Dental Hygiene Dental Track
Want to share your knowledge and teach the next generation of hygienists? The Online Dental Hygiene Education Track might be just the program you're looking for. Courses in this track provide students with the knowledge and skills to teach didactic, clinic, and laboratory courses in dental hygiene programs, conduct research, and assume administrative positions.
Management track - New! Now offered online and on campus!
Ready to take your professional career into business or healthcare management? Courses in the Dental Hygiene Management Track provide students with knowledge and skills necessary for positions within the healthcare industry such as sales representatives, managers of marketing and professional relations divisions, managers of large dental clinics, practice management consultants and entrepreneurs.
Recent Student Publications
Students in the Master's of Dental Hygiene Education program are expected to design and implement a thesis project that results in a publication-quality document. Here are links to several examples of such documents that did, indeed, result in publication by our students.
- Subjective Pain Perception During Calculus Detection With Use of a Periodontal Endoscope (2014). Authors: Kjersta Poppe, RDH, MDH; Christine Blue, BSDH, MS
- Use of Restorative Procedures by Allied Dental Health Professionals in Minnesota (2014). Authors: Jennifer J. Post, RDH, MDH; Jill L. Stoltenberg, RDH, MA
- Examining the influence of professional identity formation on the attitudes of students towards interprofessional collaboration (2016). Authors: Cyndee Stull, BSDH, MDH; Christine Blue, DHSc, MS
- Use of a continual sweep motion to compare air polishing devices, powders and exposure time on unexposed root cementum (2017). Authors: Mandy L. Herr, Ralph DeLong, Yuping Li, Scott A. Lunos, Jill L. Stoltenberg
- Introducing and Evaluating Intraprofessional Team-Based Care Delivery in a Dental School Clinic: A Pilot Study: (2018) Authors: Hiwet Ephrem, Karl D. Self, Christine M. Blue
Want more info?
Prospective applicants are invited to contact the program director for more details and individual advising. Call Tina Jalivay at 612-625-9121 to schedule a phone meeting or inquire about an information session.
You can also request more info via our online form.
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS)
- Dental Therapy
- Dental Hygiene
- UMN PASS
- Specialty and Advanced Education Programs
- Dental School Preparation Programs
- Current Students
- Community Outreach Experience
- Degree & Education Verification