International & Transfer Students

Review the details below if you are a D.D.S. applicant from a foreign institution or are transferring from another school.

International Students

If accepted, international students must guarantee sufficient funds to meet all their educational and personal expenses for the duration of their F-1 status at the University of Minnesota.

The University of Minnesota School of Dentistry recently added UMN-PASS, an advanced standing program for foreign trained dentists.

Transferring undergraduate credits from foreign institution

While the standard requirement is 87 semester hours from an officially accredited U.S. or Canadian college or university, the School of Dentistry will consider international coursework from an accredited college or university, if supplied with official or certified transcripts, mark sheets, and degree statements from all institutions attended.

Transcripts must be evaluated by ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.) In addition, applicants must complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of prerequisite courses and/or upper division science courses from an accredited college or university in the U.S. or Canada. English courses taken from an international college or university do not fulfill the School of Dentistry English requirement for admission.

English language proficiency

Anyone for whom English is not their native language must take an English language proficiency exam. The School of Dentistry requires that applicants take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). This requirement may we waived if you have proof of proficiency (high school and college English grades, length of time in country, DAT Reading Comprehension score, etc.).

You can request a waiver on the School of Dentistry Supplemental Application, but a TOEFL score may still be requested by the Admissions Committee.

Minimum scores required (internet-based)

  • Overall Score: 96-97
  • Writing: 25

Transfer Students

The minimum number of credits required for admission is 87 semester hours or 130 quarter hours. Applicants can take a maximum of 64 semester hours or 96 quarter hours at a community college, but credits from a technical college generally do not transfer.

The credits need not be totally completed at the time of application, but must be completed by the spring term prior to matriculation. Completed credits must include those for prerequisite courses.

Transferring from another dental school

Transfer applicants should understand that a transfer request to the School of Dentistry could be a very lengthy process. Therefore, it is highly recommended that individuals considering a transfer apply during the fall of their second year of the dental program. Transfer requests must be made no later than December 1 of the year prior to matriculation at the School of Dentistry.

The following policy applies to transfer students:

  • They must first be accepted by the Admissions Committee before any consideration of transfer is undertaken. There must be a place available in the class to which the transfer student is requesting admission.
  • They are accepted only at the end of their second year, and must have been certified by their previous school as capable of treating comprehensive care patients.
  • The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will assess the comparability of curricula between the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry and the transferring institution and shall seek approval from all course directors as to the acceptability of course work from the transferring institution.
  • No transfer courses will be accepted with "D" or "F" or "N" or "I" grades as meeting comparable course requirements at the University of Minnesota.
  • The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs must receive copies of all current transcripts from the transferring institution prior to matriculation at the University of Minnesota.
  • The transfer student must be evaluated by the preclinical course directors prior to entering into comprehensive care of patients.
  • The curricula to be given the transfer student must either waive or fulfill all course requirements in the classes scheduled in year one and two of the dental curriculum before the student will be authorized to register for third year courses.

All transfer students must pay a $1000 transfer fee deposit to initiate a transfer. If the student matriculates, the $1000 fee will be applied, as a credit, to his/her tuition and fees. This fee is nonrefundable and nontransferable if the student does not matriculate in the year to which he/she has applied.