The faculty development page provides easy access to information on faculty development programming, promotion, and provides a variety of resources aimed at enriching faculty members' professional growth and achieving an inclusive educational environment.
November 11, 12:15-1 p.m. - The Library of the Future - Right Now
Learn about the new spaces in the Health Sciences Library and meet Nicole, the librarian for the School of Dentistry. Nicole will lead you on a virtual tour of the library highlighting features including the 1:Button Studios, Makerspace, Virtual Reality Studio, Data + Visualization Lab, and other spaces. She will also talk about library services that support research such as the systematic review service, design and introductory principles of data visualization, software carpentry, and more.
December 1 - Kristin Shingler: Alternative Assessment Design to Meet Course Learning Objectives. During the presentation, participants will explore the use of authentic assessment in professional degree courses. The components of authentic assessment and how they relate to course learning objectives will be presented. Several examples of alternative assessment being used will be discussed. Finally, participants will be given a roadmap to alternative assessment design for use in the future.
All courses require registration. All faculty development programs are recorded and housed in a Canvas Course (link to the faculty development program recordings below). Continuing education credit is awarded for attendance and for viewing the program recordings.
Recordings of Past Faculty Development Programs (Now for CE Credit!)
Learn How To Use Kahoot! The School of Dentistry has been awarded funding for 16 subscriptions to use premium features of Kahoot!, a game-based learning platform used to engage students in virtual and in-person settings. The attached training video takes you through some of the innovative ways you can use the premium features of Kahoot in your classroom to increase student engagement, learning, and participation. There are still subscriptions left for the Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 semesters. If you are interested in using Kahoot for your upcoming course, and have not already indicated so in a previously sent Google Form, please email Keeley Flavin (email@example.com) specifying your name, course number, and in which semester(s) you would like to utilize the subscription. How To Use Kahoot video.
SOD Canvas Office Hours with Yelena Yan, Instructional Designer. Every Wednesday from noon to 3 p.m. - beginning May 19. Join Zoom meeting when convenient for you, no registration needed.
Academic Technology Support Services (ATSS) & Center for Educational Innovation (CEI) Faculty Development Offerings
ATSS Instructional Workshops, Webinars, Courses and Events
More workshops here.
- National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity
- U of M "Keep Teaching"
- American Dental Education Association's ADEA "We Teach"
- Canvas Self-Help Guide
- K. Patricia Cross Academy: Videos of Active Learning Strategies
- NEW! Canvas changes for 2021
- Academic Technology Support Services (ATSS)
- Lecture Breakers Weekly with Barb Honeycutt, PhD. Ideas you can use to break up your lecture, increase student engagement and learning. Sign up to receive these free weekly teaching tips!
- CTSI Research Mentoring
- BIG MOUTH DATA - The School of Dentistry research community is invited to utilize Big Mouth Data, an oral health database developed from partially de-identified electronic health record data contributed by dental schools who are part of the Consortium for Oral Health Research and Informatics COHRI). To utilize this resource, review these instructions and contact Palak Bothra with any questions.
Faculty Development Programs
Call for Proposals