Data Access and Informatics Consulting
Dr. Palak Bothra is the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry’s (SOD) Data Analyst and Informatics Consultant. She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org. Consultations and services are free for SOD personnel.
- Feasibility Analysis: Initial determination of availability of sufficient sample size to conduct a study.
- Data Informatics: Detailed information of patient sample for the required eligibility criteria.
- Support survey development and management. Surveys are typically administered electronically using iPads and an IRB approved software (REDCap).
- iPads are available for research purposes.
- Clinical data to support:
- Subject recruitment
- Retrospective/prospective and observational/experimental studies.
- Operational and quality improvement projects
- Data feeds: Augmenting existing data searches
- AxiUm records from the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry
- Epic records from the Fairview and University of Minnesota Physicians
- Integrated axiUm and Epic records.
- BigMouth Dental Data Repository - Access the oral health records of millions of consenting patients, which can be used to advance research
- National dental data repository now available to UMN researchers
- Using BigMouth for Research Webinar - Sept. 30
- Cross-institutional axiUm database from multiple USA dental schools. It is hosted at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston.
- Natural Language Processing - Patient Information Extraction for Research (NLP-Pier)
- Information extraction platform for digitizing clincial notes into analyzable data.
- Integrated Public Use Microdata Series (IPUMS) - IPUMS USA collects, preserves, and harmonizes U.S. census microdata and provides easy access to this data with enhanced documentation. Data services from IPUMS are free of charge. It includes:
- National Health Interview Survey (NHIS): information on the health, health care access, and health behaviors of the civilian, non-institutionalized U.S. population, with digital data files available from 1963 to present.
- Medical Expenditure Panel Survey (MEPS): data for social, economic, and health research.
- IBM MarketScan (tm)
- MarketScan data provide claims (medical, prescription drug purchases, physician encounters, and hospital stays for the population as well as insurance enrollment) for a large population of commercially insured patients and Medicare beneficiaries with supplemental health coverage.
- For more details about access to this data, fees, and restrictions, please refer to the Data Use Agreement Document.
Steps to Request Services:
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Bothra regarding your research idea by submitting a request form.
- Phase 1: Initial Consultation and Feasibility Analysis
Free consultation during which Dr. Bothra meets with the researcher(s) to discuss the proposed project and assess feasibility.
- Phase 2: Detailed Planning
Dr. Bothra and the researcher(s) develop and finalize the project's plan including the timeline. Input from the center's biostatistician is available as needed.
- Phase 3: Execution/Implementation
Project begins after Dr. Bothra and the researchers' agree on the scope of work.
All publications resulting from using this service need to provide the following acknowledgment.
“This research was supported by the University of Minnesota’s School of Dentistry’s Oral Health Clinical Research Center (OHCRC) and the National Institutes of Health’s National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, grant UL1TR002494. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the OHCRC or the National Institutes of Health’s National Center for Advancing Translational Science