The Advanced Education Program in Periodontology enables graduates to pursue careers in clinical practice, teaching or research.
Periodontics is that specialty of dentistry which encompasses the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the supporting and surrounding tissues of the teeth or their substitutes and the maintenance of the health, function and esthetics of these structures and tissues.
Dentists interested in enhancing their knowledge and skill in the field of periodontology may choose to apply to the Advanced Education Program in Periodontology for training as a graduate student/resident. Our graduate program is in full compliance with ADA Commission for Dental Accreditation guidelines.
The Advanced Education Program in Periodontology at the University of Minnesota offers three levels of training in Periodontology. Depending on the resident's career goals, they may choose from:
- Certificate in Periodontology and Dental Implant Surgery with a Master of Science degree and a thesis written on an original research project (3 years)
Residents who are interested in academic careers can pursue a Certificate in Periodontology and Dental Implant Surgery with:
- A Ph.D. in Oral Biology or a related field (six years)
- Master of Science degree in Clinical Research (four years) through the School of Public Health
Facilities & instruments
The Periodontology Graduate Program operates a modern, well-equipped clinic which is located in the University of Minnesota's Health Sciences Center. Complete facilities for surgical and non-surgical periodontal therapy are available.
Clinical, research and office space is assigned to each graduate student throughout the training program. Collaborative clinical and didactic experiences are available with graduate students from: endodontics, oral pathology, orthodontics, oral surgery, pediatric dentistry, prosthodontics and others. Students within the fields of general dentistry, dental hygiene and dental assisting are available to assist during various clinical procedures.
The student to faculty ratio is 6 to 1 during clinic. Four of seven full-time divisional faculty members are diplomates of the American Board of Periodontology.
The Division of Periodontology supplies all clinical instruments at a moderate rental fee. Each student is required to have a high-quality camera, which is suitable for intraoral photography.
The Clinical Dental Research Center at the University of Minnesota is one of two centers in the United States sponsored by the National Institutes of Health.
Tuition & financial aid
All graduate students have limited teaching responsibilities with pre-doctoral students. Students accepted into the program are, therefore, advised to seek financial aid if necessary from other sources. Students are discouraged from practicing extramural general dentistry while enrolled in the program.
Master and PhD students can obtain information on federal loans through One Stop.
Advanced Education Director:
Flavia Lakschevitz, DDS, PhD, MSc
Program Administrative Specialist
Division of Periodontology:
7-368 Moos Tower
515 Delaware St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
DDS Periodontal Clinic:
7th floor Moos Tower
Advanced Education Clinic
7-468 Moos Tower
M.S. Student's Room
7-360 Moos Tower
The Division of Periodontology is concerned with the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of gingival and periodontal diseases as related to overall oral and general health. Our mission is to:
- Educate dental, dental hygiene, dental therapy, and graduate students, the practicing dental community and the public regarding the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of gingival and periodontal diseases
- Advance the body of knowledge and technology transfer on the behavioral, clinical, basic science, public health, and information technology levels as related to the prevention and treatment of gingival and periodontal diseases
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS)
- Dental Therapy
- Dental Hygiene
- UMN PASS
- Specialty and Advanced Education Programs
- Dental School Preparation Programs
- Current Students
- Community Outreach Experience
- Degree & Education Verification